My Flicker Pics

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Do Leaves Really Turn Colors in the South?

That question poses a serious question. I used to think (after visiting Wisconsin one October) that we had absolutely NO COLOR in the fall. But seriously, we do, if you look diligently, have a little color change. It's the middle of September here...let me look..................................okay, green and maybe a touch of brown.

But not in my kitchen. I have made my own fall. And since I have a "day" job, I'm doing it in shifts. But here are my first FALL LEAVES

See, there is color in the South!

I tried to do the painting technique.  Maybe it was the fact that this is NOT royal icing.  I'm not really sure, but I began to give up.  Then the lightbulb went off.  Hmmm.  I wonder what would happen if I just wet the brush and "slurred" the color on the stem.  And then I thought, hey, why don't I just dilute the stem color and brush that on the leaves...one time near the center...and (I only had ONE other leaf) I tried the "water" color on the edges.  Anyway.  I sort of liked the result.  Error to the rescue.  I'd still like to do that painting.  Another day...another icing....another batch of cookies.  But that's really ok.

I have been enjoying everyone's posts.  All those leaves, and pumpkins and you know, AUTUMN.

I have a few coming of my own.  No tutorial, just the results of looking at all of yours...if you're readin'

2 comments:

  1. Well, it is definitely Fall in your kitchen. Really interesting icing technique - one I shall experiment with. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, isn't it funny how mistakes can sometimes turn into nice surprises?

    ReplyDelete