My Flicker Pics

Monday, May 30, 2011

Sugar Vacation

One of my most favorite things to do is to bake, which often means sugar and butter.  But this week, I am moving away just a bit from the sweet side and hover over some fresh ingrediants.  And when I say fresh, you can't get any fresher...
Fresh from the garden, into the cooker and then the jars.



Eggplant must be one of the lonely vegetables. A lot of people just aren't very friendly with him. But I can tell you, he is ready to go with you to the fry pan, the grill, the broiler and the casserole dish. Almost anywhere you wish to take him.




Tomatoes picked in the early morning light, brought home to be made into marinara and topped on fresh white eggplant.  I have never seen a white eggplant. I suspect many of you haven't either.  Have you?   Made a pretty tastey broiled parmesian to go with zuchinni that was barely old enough to taken from its earthy "home".



Alright,  I can't say I got these from the garden, but they sure were a great addition to a meatless meal.


 

There is nothing that smells any better than fresh picked veggies. 
And  how the Lord does dress the "lilies" of the field. 
Have you ever seen anything more beautiful?



 
Stuffed bellpeppers.
Place peppers in boiling water for 3 minutes.
Drain.
Saute one small onion and a stalk of  chopped celery in a little olive oil.
Brown ground meat or sausage and drain.
Mix in 1 1/2 cup cooked rice and 1 chopped tomato.
Salt and pepper to taste.  Stuff peppers.
Top with your favorite melting cheese and a spoonful of marinara.
Place in baking dish with about 1/4 cup water.
Bake in medium oven for about 30 - 40 minutes.

 

Onions...onions...onions--red, white and yellow.
Did you know that many onions become sweet when they are slowly sauted in butter?


 
Doesn't the Lord astonish you with all his bounty?





Have you ever seen such beautiful colored eggplant?

Okay...this is the end for today.  I must leave you to put on some gloves in order to clean and cut my okra as they are not nice to me in the raw state...but I have news for the little okra...I will become its master very soon and it will wait for me in the freezer until I say it can come out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment