My Flicker Pics

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Great Jelly Roll Adventure

Let me start be saying that you can only appreciate this post fully if you read my previous post Taste...Looks....Who wins? And while this says "jelly roll" my final "roll" would be more accurately named The Great Peach Roll Adventure.  But then if you Googled "peach roll" I imagine the results would look like this:








Blank!      Never-the-less, can I say this turned out (2nd time  3rd time around) to be just the most delicious piece of low fat (high sugar) dessert ever...without the filling...okay, so it's a regular dessert. See~



I did forget to trim the ends off this time before I rolled, but I can do that before I serve and it'll be a "baker's treat"....
but how did I get here?

Remember the disaster a couple of days ago?

You aren't staring...are you?  Maybe you're thinking, I wonder how she got that big long crack there?  And how did she get that crust so, uh...dark?
Well, it did taste good.  Only my friends and family could appreciate.
SoOoOo...


Today, armed with a new recipe from Paula Deen http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/old-south-jelly-roll-cake-recipe/index.html  after some Scripture reading (I didn't really pray for the cake....really) I uncovered everything I had measured out last night and whirl, whirl, wisk, stir, pour and into the oven at 350 degrees.  Proud of myself.  Got the towel ready because it said 8 - 10 minutes.  And I wanted everything ready...





After much (short) anticipation...
and then...
Most of the cake was not done after 8 mins...10.....12...you get the picture.  When I took it out it was golden and beaufiful, why it was radiating.  BUT the middle was RAW, hence the garbage pic.

AT this point I was looking here...

to determine how many ways you can use crumbled cake.  I am not a wasteful person by nature.  Maybe I can cheat and make a jelly peach roll with a mix....


AND THEN I RE-READ THE DIRECTIONS

400 degrees..wh?  400...again  400 degrees...

ok.


Jelly roll cakes take very little ingredients.  But aparantly someone forgot to say NOT FOR THE BEGINNER.  That would have been a nice warning label.


So 4 eggs, separated
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup cake flour
3/4 teas. baking powder
1/4 teas. salt
1 TBS vanilla
confectioners sugar
(see Paula Deen's link for details)

That's all you need...oh, and parchment paper with no stick spray...oh and a jelly roll pan (but I used a glass dish and it still worked)

And THEN:






I was a weeee bit impatient and could have waited a few more minutes, but no one will miss that little piece. You won't tell will you?



 
One last word...I've been a little gabby today, haven't I?
The filling today was left over peach cream filling added to an 8oz block of softened cream cheese.  (And then I sprinkled with a small container of drained snack peaches)

All rolled up to cool and yes, always give Thanks to God for He IS worthy!



Sigh....done :)







No comments:

Post a Comment